Although there is no equal substitute for your natural teeth, implants provide a great treatment option to replace missing teeth. Our dentists at Drummoyne Dental Practice offer both titanium and metal free (ceramic) dental implants.
Not all patients are suitable for dental implants. Some factors to consider include the thickness and density of your bone. If you are interested in dental implants you should arrange a consultation with a dentist at Drummoyne Dental Practice for a thorough assessment.
It is important to understand the many reasons why a missing tooth should be replaced in a timely manner...
How Dental Implants can benefit you:
- Replacing a missing tooth with a dental implant can help to minimise bone loss in the region of the missing tooth. When a tooth's root is no longer present to stimulate the jawbone, the bone will shrink. This can compromise the quality of the bone in the vicinity, which can jeopardize the connection between the surrounding teeth and the jaw.
- Replacing missing teeth can prevent your remaining teeth from shifting to fill in the empty space left behind by missing teeth. If your remaining teeth shift too much, this can create a problem with malalignment. If you fail to replace a missing tooth in a timely manner, you may need to undergo orthodontic treatment if you end up with a crooked smile as a result.
- Replacement of your missing tooth (or teeth) can prevent debris and bacteria from collecting in the empty space/s and around other teeth which may have shifted as a result of the missing tooth. The more debris and bacteria which is allowed to accumulate in the mouth can increase risk of dental decay and periodontal disease.
- Dental implant treatment is conservative of your remaining teeth, as the placement of dental implants does not involve cutting down neighbouring teeth, which are often used as support teeth when constructing dental bridgework.
- Dental implants represent the most advanced and longest lasting tooth replacement technology available to patients. They offer a structurally complete prosthetic that includes both an artificial root, which is made of titanium (also available in ceramic), and a crown made of lifelike materials that mimic the appearance of enamel.
When considering tooth replacement treatment, it is important to recognize that you have different options for appliances. For a small number of teeth, you may choose a dental bridge, partial denture or dental implants. Patients who are missing an entire arch of teeth and those who are edentulous may opt for conventional dentures or for implant-supported dentures.
Choosing dental implants as a replacement for missing teeth means you have the benefit of stability in the jawbone and limited effects on surrounding teeth. It is also easier to maintain your oral hygiene with dental implants, and the devices are more functional.
Feel free to contact Drummoyne Dental Practice to explore bone grafting ridge preservation and dental implants to see whether this treatment is suitable for your case.
To read even more about dental implants you can visit our news item More about Dental Implants at Drummoyne Dental Practice.